Day 5

Getting easier...I actually discovered that heating up the raw spinach in the fry pan brings out a mellower, different flavor.  And dang but if the cost of the heirloom tomatoes isn't worth it!  The taste is amazing.  Also, I have discovered that I actually do experience hunger pains...something I almost never experience.  In reading the fuller month blogs I appreciated Jen's meltdown on (I think) day 17.  That empty void that she allowed Jesus to fill.  I love that prayer at this time....when this physical reaction occurs that it acts as a signal to remember to pray unceasingly.  I was also amazed today how even the same food today really did satisfy....the egg white omelet with tomatoes and spinach--that I have eaten every morning for five days was tasty.

Also found myself very interested in moving the 7 day fast into a new outlook on feeding my "temple."  Simple healthy foods; kosher laws from Leviticus; looking out for more preservatives than real ingredients; local sourcing; cooking, and knowing what I am putting into meals; seasonal foods...
Invested in a cookbook called The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters.  Wheels are turning.  Truly since Jeff began the slimgenics kick in 2010/11 we have already drastically changed our food habits.  But now my mind is chewing on this...


Day 7

--note the day change.  As I was thinking over the fast and the next week I realized that in my mind I was going Monday to Monday, but that is actually 8 days and we are looking at  7! so... bonus! the 7 food week is done tonight!!!
Been doing a lot of thinking this afternoon about the whole fast in general.  Especially since I took some time and filled three grocery bags with food for the food shelf.  And not just the icky leftover stuff...real food that would actually be of help to someone.  Benta's large jars of Jiff; cans of tuna; things that always look good in the store that I never get around to actually using.  So time to pass them to those who really could use them.

I was pleasantly surprised today when Jeff offered to take me to Edina Grill for brunch after church and they happily made me an egg white scramble specifically designed for the 7 fast--with salmon, spinach and fire-roasted tomatoes. I went thru about six glasses of water too :)  Delish!

I think my choice to use the  7 foods route was wise.  Even though I didn't do it for four weeks, I still have had some points of struggle.  If only in the instance of being tempted with something that seems like  it would be no big deal, but the sameness--even with the small wiggle room of different fish--gave me something to chew on, so to speak.  It forced a change of focus, even if it was just a hint at the differences of immediate needs (body fuel) vs. what I want...  what I have a TASTE for.  And
The seven days weren't horribly difficult but has given me food for thought.  At the times when I just thought it really wouldn't matter...or I am just tired of the sameness... the monotony...even if I didn't drop to my knees in prayer and supplication, I did turn to Jesus...I did think of WHY I was doing this...
What I have thought about this evening:  I ran to L&B to pick up meat for Benta and Dagny and a couple of other things, and I checked ingredients labels.  I made the effort to make choices that would be closer to God honoring than not.  Hmmm.... a theme of God honoring...and what would that be but something that goes with Micah 6:8--"He showed you oh (wo)man what is good.  And what does the Lord require of you?  Seek justice, love mercy and walk humbly with your God."
I wonder if I can move this way...be aware of what we are eating not as a legalism or as another idol or prideful action, but in humility.  With wisdom, and frugality.  As a good steward of the blessings that the Lord has heaped upon us...and with the opportunity to also look at food as a way to serve others...to seek just action and mercy for those who struggle to place healthy food on their tables.  To be thankful for all His provision.  To be more aware of hospitality... in our home, in our church...and elsewhere...
Hospitality.  That brings me to the thought of Michael and the possibility of Sunday night worship.  Might there be opportunity to start again?  to grow a new type of community at BLC?  Lord...bible study...worship...faith....where are you leading?

I am discovering that this fast will have more to it than meets the eye.  Help me use the next steps to move closer to you Lord.  What is your plan Lord?  Where are you leading?  What new thing are you creating and how am I to be a part of it?  What are you preparing me for? Soli Deo Gloria.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

marking your journey

The beginning of 7